Monday, March 1, 2010

Containers make me happy.

It has become apparent to me in recent days that I have developed four very odd addictions on the ship:
  1. peanut butter and jelly sandwiches
  2. cinnamon toast
  3. coffee with French vanilla powdered creamer
  4. microwave popcorn
Why addictions?  Well, take this past Saturday for instance.  Hot lunches aren't served on Saturdays and Sundays on the ship, so we are responsible for packing a lunch at breakfast.  For me, this typically means PB & J and an apple.  Last Friday though, croissants were served at breakfast, and I had the unprecedented foresight to save one for Saturday lunch with some cheddar cheese and deli sliced roast beef.  As I sat with some friends on Saturday with my "gourmet" lunch, I found myself envying my friend's soft and delicious peanut butter with strawberry jam on wheat. 

Sad, isn't it?

So you can imagine my despair as my stash of French vanilla coffee creamer and microwave popcorn, which accompanied me from the Trussville Walmart all the way to Africa after my time at home for Christmas, began to approach its end.  I considered asking my mom to ship me a package, but it seemed wasteful considering the cost of shipping would turn a less-than-$2 item into around $10.  I decided I could survive on coffee with sugar and milch (the next best thing to milk), and I could just increase my consumption of cinnamon toast to make up for the lack of popcorn (kidding). 

Then something wonderful happened...the container arrived today!  For those of you who haven't experienced the blessing that is a container, the container is a giant, trailer-sized metal box filled with goodies from our international operations center in Texas.  We eagerly await one about every 6 weeks.  Guess what was inside this particular container?  Microwave popcorn AND French vanilla coffee creamer!!! 

It was a happy, happy, HAPPY day.  :)  

1 comment:

  1. Haley can I just say that you are precious. It is those little things that make each day so sweet. Please dont worry about your condo, it will all work out. If you get a renter you stay and if not back to the states for Gods next big adventure for you. Last time I heard you say that as soon as you doubted God and made plans to come back home and NOT to Africa, He provided a renter. He provides Haley. So just enjoy that creamer and the sound of your students speaking French. : ) Have a great weekend on your ship, or week---Im not sure of the time difference ha.

    ReplyDelete