Sunday, November 30, 2008

I Had It All Backwards

It's funny how we approach situations thinking that we can make a difference in another person's life, only to find that we are the ones changed. If you had asked me four years ago why I wanted to be a teacher, I would have proudly replied, "I want to make a difference in the lives of children." Now I realize that I am the one more focused on the chores and not the children, the rules and not the relationships, the learning and not the love. It is the children who change me.

Last Monday, one of my dance team girls came down to my classroom bursting with excitement. "At church yesterday, the sermon was about our dance team verse!" she exclaimed as she handed me a copy of her outline. There at the top of her sermon notes was the verse we had selected during the summer to be our team verse:

"Train yourself to be godly. For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come." 1 Timothy 4:8b

Later at practice that afternoon, I had the privilege of listening to this precious young lady share the major points from the sermon to the entire team.

My girls amaze me. They remind me to start practice with prayer because I am the one who most often forgets. I've listened to them pray for one another with sincerity and faith. I've watched them cry on each other's shoulders after praying for family members with serious illnesses. I've watched them break out of their comfort zones and get to know new friends because they want the team to be a family and not a group of smaller cliques. I've watched and listened as they have led. I am so blessed to have the privilege of watching.

Thanks, girls. I love you.

2 comments:

  1. Aww! Thanks Miss Nichols! We love you too! I think it is so great for our dance team to have coachs like you and Miss Lewis! Seeing this blog just reminds me of what great love you have for us, others, and (most importantly) GOD! I have faith that with you leading us, we will continue being a great family! Thanks for my picture frame! GOD BLESS!

    > Molly Self >
    HTMS Dance Team

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Miss Nichols :)
    I truly believe that we were that way because of our two amazing coaches. I made some wonderful life-long friends and have a better relationship with Christ. Thanks for all that you've done.
    I love you and miss you dearly,
    Sidney

    ReplyDelete