Dear Friends and Family,
I need your prayers once again! As many of you know, I had the opportunity to travel to Johannesburg, South Africa on a mission trip in June. Since the trip, an organization called Mercy Ships has been continuously on my mind and heart. Mercy Ships is a Christian organization that operates hospital ships in developing countries. By providing free medical services to those who have no access to quality care, the crew is able to share the gospel with people who are often ostracized and abandoned in their own communities. Mercy Ships is currently in need of teachers to serve the children of the crew. I am prayerfully considering applying for a teaching position aboard the Africa Mercy.
What would this involve?
· I would teach at Mercy Ships Academy onboard the Africa Mercy for two years.
· I could teach kindergarten, 1st grade, 2nd grade, 3rd and 4th grade combined, or 5th and 6th grade combined.
· I would teach all core academic subjects, plus French and a Bible class. (And I thought my high school French class was useless. J)
· I would have the opportunity to serve through various community development projects on the weekends. Some of these projects could include construction of schools, clinics, orphanages, and water wells.
· I would complete training in Texas this summer and begin teaching in August.
Would you please pray with me about this decision?
1. Please pray that God would make His will perfectly clear.
2. Please pray that He would continue to work in my heart, giving me a passion to know Him and make Him known, regardless of where He wants me to serve.
3. Please pray that if it is His will for me to go, He would work out all financial concerns. This would involve raising support to cover my crew fees and insurance, selling or renting my condo, and deferring my student loans.
4. Please pray for the current staff of Mercy Ships and the people being served. Pray that people would continue to come to know Christ through this ministry.
If you are interested in learning more about Mercy Ships, go to http://www.mercyships.org/home or http://www.ms-information.org/. Also, I found an interesting article outlining an interview with Dr. Glenn Strauss, the vice president of International Health Care and Programs for Mercy Ships,at http://www.christianpost.com/article/20070727/interview-mercy-ships-vp-on-gospel-146-s-healing-touch-african-superstition_pageall.htm.
Thank you so much for your prayers!
Love you all!