Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Living in a Polygag???



This has to be one of my favorite commercials, probably because we can all relate. A few of my favorite musical misunderstandings:

  • "There might be a little dust on the Bible, but don't let it fool ya about what's inside." ~Beth, in elementary school (Close, except the dust isn't on the Bible; it's on the bottle. It makes sense though, coming from a sweet little Baptist girl.)

  • "There's a bathroom on the right." ~Leslie (Nope, there's actually a bad moon on the rise.)

  • "It's too late to fully jive." ~Space (Or, too late to apologize, but whatever.)


About a year ago, I was driving home from an English workshop with two of my favorite coworkers. Our brains had all but turned to mush thanks to the scintillating discussions that had just taken place. Needless to say, we were in desperate need of some karaoke for the drive home. We plugged in my I-Pod and didn't waste any time locating the ultimate drama queen song.

Turn around, every now and then I get a little bit lonely cuz you're never coming 'round...

We were doing pretty well until the end of the chorus.

Your love is like a shadow on me all of the time. I don't know what to do. I'm always in the dark. We're living in a paosdfiupa and galdfjl oadffa sllmlfjaf...

Huh?!?! Over and over we listened to it, trying to figure out what in the world Bonnie is lamenting about! The best we could come up with was "living in a polygag and giving up smart." Probably not.

Of course, by the time we all got home, it was forgotten...until this weekend. Again I was riding in the car, this time with a different friend. We had just left an adventure-filled outing to the oh-so-chic $1 theater and needed to belt Bonnie Tyler to forget about the fact that we were very lucky not to have been abducted.

Anyway, we were back to square one on the lyrics. When in doubt, google it. Drum roll, please...

We're living in a powder keg and giving off sparks.

Hmm...sounds like she doesn't really need him tonight. Sounds like she better run, and fast.

At any rate, the next time I'm in the car, I will be able to make the dogs howl with full confidence that at least my lyrics are correct.

I REALLY NEED YOU TONIGHT! FOREVER'S GONNA START TONIGHT. Forever's gonna start to...

Once upon a time, I was falling in love...

No comments:

Post a Comment