Saturday, August 29, 2009

Psalm 37:4

"Delight yourself in the LORD, and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37:4


I thought I had a pretty good understanding of this verse even in high school. I remember being very proud of myself (self-righteous) that I didn't think this verse meant that if you loved God, He would give you everything you wanted. Oh no, being the spiritual person that I was, I could clearly explain that it meant if you seek Him, He will change your desires to match His. Although I believe it's true that He will transform our desires as we surrender our lives to Him, I realized today that this verse could also have much deeper meaning.


What if it's not about changing our desires at all? If we truly delight ourselves in God, what is our biggest desire? Our desire is what we delight in, so therefore our desire is Him. What if this verse means, if we delight ourselves in God, He will give us more of Himself?

No comments:

Post a Comment